As a church, we believe that the Bible teaches the importance of two ordinances that are to be observed:
- Why Should I Be Baptized?
- To follow the example set by Jesus (Mark 1:9)
- Because Christ commands it (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Because it demonstrates that I really am a believer (Acts 18:8; I John 2:3)
- What Is The Meaning Of Baptism?
- It illustrates Christ’s death, burial and resurrection (I Corinthians 15:3-4; Colossians 2:12)
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian (Romans 6:4). Baptism does not save you. It shows that you are already saved. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it is an outward symbol of a commitment you have made in your heart.
- Why Should I Be Baptized By Immersion?
- Because Jesus was baptized that way (Matthew 3:16)
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion (Acts 8:38-39)
- The word “Baptize” means to dip under water.
- Immersion best symbolizes a burial and resurrection.
- Who Should Be Baptized?
- Every person who has believed in Christ (Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12-13)
- Only people who have believed in Christ.
We do not practice “Infant Baptism” or “Baptism for Confirmation.” We believe that baptism is a simple act of obedience. Every member of Riverview Baptist Church must be baptized by immersion, as a believer, symbolically expressing their faith in Christ through death, burial, and resurrection. If you have questions regarding your baptism, please talk to Bro. Allen.